The territory of Castelfiorentino is traversed by the ancient Via Francigena, the important road which, in the Middle Ages, linked Northern Europe and Rome, the capital of Christianity and the Catholic Church. It is widely known that the Via Francigena was used by pilgrims, wayfarers, nobles or indeed anyone simply needing to travel one place to another.
In the hilly hamlet of Castelnuovo d’Elsa, in the area of “Coiano” to be precise, stands one of the 79 “stopping place” of the official Via Francigena route, as described by Sigeric in 990A.D.: the Pieve dei Santi Pietro e Paolo in Coiano.
Behind this parish church, there is a resting area with facilities placed at the disposal of all those who need to stop off along the long route.
Itinerary from the Borgo to the Via Francigena
From Town to “Francigena” is the route we suggest to all those who decide to reach the Via Francigena (VF) from Castelfiorentino train stationon, but also to those who are walking along the magnificent VF and need to reach the town of Castelfiorentino for anything and discover its historical and artistic heritage.
A small path, only 4,5 Km long, that will not fail to surprise you for its beauty.
Locanda d’Elsa Hostel
Built with the funds of the Jubilee and recently modernized, offers all enthusiasts and tourists the possibility to book a night’s stay in a modern, welcoming and comfortable environment.
The hostel also provides a restaurant, a conference room and a bar. Finally, just a short distance away, there is a parking area with facilities for campervans, a convenient departure point for walking or bicycle excursions, for those seeking out the spectacular views of the Tuscan countryside.
Since its origin it was one of the thirty-six castles belonging to the San Miniato district. It was already surrounded by walls at the beginning of the 12th century. There are evident traces of its medieval past: the circular walled structure, the church, the keep. In 1173 it was besieged by the troops of Christian of Mainz but the community was able to repel the assault and remain independent. After the fall of San Miniato, in the mid-fourteenth century, it became part of the Florentine orbit. However, it maintained the autonomy of its administration as a rural municipality until 23 May 1774, when, by virtue of the Leopoldine reform, it was suppressed and annexed first to Montaione and then to Castelfiorentino. There are two religious buildings: the Chiesa e Canonica di Santa Maria Assunta where the Annunciation by Neri di Bicci is located and the Chiesa dei Santi Barbara and Lorenzo where in the back wall of the main altar there is a cycle of frescoes attributed to Paolo Schiavo.
Teatro di Castelnuovo d’Elsa
The GAT Cultural Theater Association is in charge of the Artistic Direction of the Theater of Castelnuovo d’Elsa and also carries out its activities through the GAT Theater Company.
The GAT Cultural Theater Association was born as an autonomous entity in 2002, but its activity within the Civil Society of Castelnuovo d’Elsa dates back to 1972. During this period, which covers more than 30 years, the The group has undergone numerous changes, transforming itself from a small company dedicated exclusively to the realization of an annual show, into a dynamic and multifaceted group simultaneously engaged in several productions of various types. Over the past 10 years, the GAT has been involved in the staging of theatrical works ranging from brilliant comedy, to pochade, to drama as well as in the animation of village festivals and cultural meetings.